Flipside Circus offers development, rehearsal and performance space at the training centre through our artist in residency program.
Flipside extends an invitation nationally to hear from independent circus companies, emerging and established companies and individual circus artists as well as other art forms to participate in an artist in residency program.
Past residencies include:
- Company Cantina
- Casus – Knee Deep
- Company 2 shows including, She Would Walk the Sky, Scotch & Soda, and Le Coupe.
- Candy Bowers – Black Honey Company
- Strong Woman
- Claire Odgen
- Alex Mizzen – Invisible Things
The structure of the residency is flexible and can be negotiated on a case by case basis but often include:
- 50-100 hours of non-exclusive training/rehearsal time;
- 20 hours access to the Plant Room;
- A public/semi-public showing or dress rehearsal;
- Opportunities for members of Flipside Circus’ performance troupe to sit in on rehearsals/access mentoring from the visiting artists/engage in skills exchanges;
- Acknowledgement of Flipside Circus in any future performances of the work.
Venue Hire within the Artist in Residency Programs is subsidised and valued at approximately $3,000.00.
In return for your residency, we ask that you supply the following:
- A Letter of support
- Community engagement – This can be in the form of a showing, a workshop, a one on one lesson for a student which suits your skill set, a chat with parent and students about your career and travels. We are open to anything which fits into your project time lines.
- Acknowledgement of Flipside Circus as a supporter in any future presentation of the work.
The Artist in Residence is open to:
- Independent companies
- Individual artists (over the age of 18 years)
Artists from all art forms are encouraged to apply.
All applications must be emailed to email@example.com.
Please apply online: http://www.flipsidecircus.org.au/artist-in-residence-application/
For your application to be assessed it must include:
- A completed application form
- A one page A4 outline of the project and your space requirements
- A current Public Liability Certificate
- A copy of an advanced riggers tickets for any companies that wish to rig
COMPANY IN RESIDENCE
Company 2 is a contemporary circus company that is full of heart, driven by David Carberry and Chelsea McGuffin. With their backgrounds as dancers and musicians as well as circus artists, Company 2 language is circus but draw heavily from movement and have a strong sense of musicality in all their work. See their recent work here
Flipside Circus Reg Bolton Artist in Residency program will enable Company 2 to conduct future creative developments and ongoing training with the security of knowing they have the support from Flipside Circus and its facilities.