We believe circus provides a unique opportunity for young people to show off, take risks, trust, dream and aspire, work hard, laugh, and have fun!
Flipside is a not-for-profit organisation that provides:
- Regular classes and training at our Alderley Circus Centre and right across Queensland;
- An artistic program of performances by, for, and with young people;
- Community and social circus programs;
- Support for Queensland’s world beating circus artists and independent companies.
Flipside values children and young people as cultural creators and works with a regular team of extraordinary trainers and artists as well as amazing guest trainers and artists from around Australia and the world.
THE FLIPSIDE CIRCUS CENTRE
Our Alderley Circus Centre is over 1,500m2 and is jam packed with a huge range of circus apparatus and equipment. We are also home to a range of local artists, artists in resident, companies in resident, and arts organisations including; Company 2, Circa, debase, and Imaginary Theatre.
Flipside’s training centre is available to hire for workshops, classes, training, performances, and functions.
- We believe circus is valuable in the development of confident, physically aware and social children and young people;
- We believe circus builds resilience and emotional stamina, and provides scaffolding to a healthy, curious, and mindful life;
- We believe all children should have access to high quality artistic experiences, as audiences, participants, and creators;
- We believe children, parents and caregivers, the community, and education institutions, should have agency to set their own direction and goals according to their needs;
- The Flipside Circus ethos is framed by an imperative to empower, underpinned by a celebration of diversity;
- We believe in Reg Bolton’s (one of the leading researchers in circus and young people), six elements of circus activity: To show off, to take risks, to trust, to dream and aspire, to work hard, to laugh and to have fun!
Flipside Circus is a not for profit community organisation, it can trace its beginnings to a group of dedicated families and circus artists who got together to run community based circus workshops. Our first workshops were held under a tree in West End’s Orleigh Park and the organisation was formally incorporated in 1998.
For 20 years Flipside has grown and developed all the while maintaining our strong commitment to delivering child-centred circus opportunities to young people regardless of their background or circumstances.
Along the way we have helped to train generations of professional circus artists, worked with world leading trainers, and became Queensland’s largest youth arts organisation.
Flipside’s has toured throughout Queensland and Australia with our critically acclaimed shows performing in festivals, on main stages, and community events to critical acclaim. Our 2018 production We Live Here won two Matilda Awards including best Circus/Physical Theatre.
Flipside Circus has had Deductible Gift Recipient status and Tax Concession status as a charitable institution.
Please stay up to date with Flipside Circus by signing up to our e-news!