We believe circus provides a unique opportunity for young people to show off, to take risks, to trust, to dream and aspire, to work hard, to laugh, and to have fun!
Flipside is a not-for-profit organisation that provides:
- Regular classes and training at our Alderley training centre and right across Queensland;
- An artistic program of performances by, for, and with young people;
- Community and social circus programs;
- Support for emerging and professional circus artists and independent companies.
Flipside values children and young people as cultural creators and works with a regular team of extraordinary trainers and artists as well as amazing guest trainers and artists from around Australia and the world.
THE FLIPSIDE CIRCUS TRAINING CENTRE
Our training centre in Alderley is over 1500 square metres and jam packed with a huge range of circus apparatus and equipment. We are also home to a range of local artists, artists in resident, and arts organisations including; Cluster Arts, debase, and Imaginary Theatre.
Flispide’s training centre is available to hire for workshops, classes, training, performances, and functions.
- We believe the experience of circus is valuable in the development of confident, physically aware and social children.
- We believe circus builds resilience and emotional stamina and provides scaffolding to a healthy, curious, and mindful child.
- We believe all children should have access to the highest quality artistic experiences, as audience, participant, and collaborator.
- We believe people – the child, the parents and caregivers, the community, and education institutions – should have agency to set their own direction and goals according to their needs.
- The Flipside Circus ethos is framed by an imperative to empower, underpinned by a celebration of diversity.
- We believe in Reg Bolton’s (one of the leading researchers in circus and young people), six elements of circus activity: To show off, to take risks, to trust, to dream and aspire, to work hard, to laugh and to have fun!
Incorporated in 1998 as a not-for-profit organisation, Flipside Circus has grown steadily from a solid grass roots and community base dedicated to delivering child-centred circus opportunities to all young people regardless of their circumstances.
Flipside has earned a reputation as one of Australia’s leading youth circus companies. Our performances have earned wide applause at major Australian Festivals and theatres as well as smaller community events.
In 2010, Flipside Circus moved to our 1540 square metre dedicated training centre in Alderley, opening the next chapter of the organisation’s exciting story. This base provides an opportunity for continued growth and financial sustainability.
Since September 2009, Flipside Circus has had Deductible Gift Recipient status and Tax Concession status as a charitable institution.
Please stay informed about Flipside Circus via our e-newsletter!